Monday, October 02, 2006

It's my bloggy and I'll whine if i wanna

I wrote this during the summer in reply to an editorial opinion espoused by an india immigrant bemoaning his treatment in this country. The Cincinnati Enquirer declined to print it. I reprint it here for no other reason than it's my blog. na,na,na.nah, na, na.


I am going to go ahead and say right up front that I am jingoistic, biased, insensitive and mean-spirited. So, now that names have been called, and liberals who would call them have moved on to the editorial cartoons, please allow me my voice.

To the India immigrant who wrote the editorial on immigration in the US, I applaud the fact you entered our country legally and are abiding by our laws while you are here. We like that.

1. I am sorry you don’t like rules we impose on non-citizens, like disclosing your whereabouts or paying taxes on money earned here. I’m sorry about other non-citizen hardships too, like not owning guns or voting in elections until you become a citizen. These rules exist so you have time to acclimate to our ways, insure you want to be an American and our officials think you deserve it. However, once you become a citizen, you may hold any government office, except president. You can vote, own firearms and even work to change our laws. Our government is set up so that any law can be changed if we want.

2. I don’t know why Ohio puts a red line on non-citizen license, but rest assured it’s for a legitimate reason and not persecution. If it was like the Jews under the Nazis, you’d wear it where it could be seen at all times and you’d have a whole host of other concerns. So please don’t use that analogy, its wrong. You know that.

3. Based on your statements, as a non-citizen your family is living very well in this country. You’re allowed to name your price for your services, live freely in our society, raise your child in our schools, covered by emergency workers and other services, which are funded by taxes you apparently don’t want to pay on money you earned here. You have the freedom to say what you want, to fight or refuse to fight for the country that has offered you its bounty. Be grateful. Most of us are, even though we take it for granted too.

4. Just by being born on our soil, your daughter instantly became one of us. Not many countries allow this. You and your wife didn’t have to be citizens here for that to occur. I am glad for her. Our flag is hers now and in a few years, it can be yours too. Or you can exercise another freedom we have that many other countries don’t; the freedom to leave. Personally, I don’t think you’ll find better. Anywhere.